It happens to the best of us – as we start heading over the hill, our metabolism, energy and overall health all take a downward slide.
Instead of letting nature takes its course, you can reverse the effects of aging by following a few simple senior health tips and making healthier choices each day. So whether you’re switching your recliner for the treadmill or your brownie for a banana, you can quickly regain the energy you need to truly enjoy your retirement years!
Healthy living tips for seniors
When your body is tired, and your joints are sore, finding the drive to be active is easier said than done. However, even the smallest steps can have the biggest impact on your overall well-being. To begin your personal senior wellness program, start with just one of the following health tips for elderly individuals and work your way up from there!
- Hit the weights. While you need aerobic exercise like dancing or swimming for good cardio health, you also need to add strength training to your exercise routine. Get out some resistance bands or arm weights and do your reps while watching TV. It not only makes you stronger, it actually revs up your metabolism as muscle burns more calories than fat.
- Go for the protein. Crackers and cookies are easy to grab when you’re hungry and need a quick shot of energy – but the crash will leave you feeling tired an hour later. A better option is protein-rich snacks, like low-fat yogurt, nuts, peanut butter, and lean cuts of meat, which help keep your energy level up and running.
- Take a walk outside. A study from the International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health found that seniors who walk outside exercise longer, have improved bone health thanks to a natural shot of Vitamin D, and are less anxious and depressed. Since the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends 150 minutes of exercise a week, a daily outside hike is a perfect option!
- Break out the yoga mat. Whether you can get on the floor or need to stick with chair yoga, this ancient exercise is ideal for building muscle, improving flexibility, and reducing joint and muscle pain. If you’re new to yoga, be sure to work with a qualified instructor to avoid any possible strain or injury.
- Meditate your worries away. According to researchers from the University of California Los Angeles, older adults who performed mindful meditation enjoyed better sleep, boosted their immune systems, and even improved digestion. By letting your muscles relax, closing your eyes, breathing deeply, and focusing on that breath, you can feel a difference immediately.
Envision Wellness Programs – your senior wellness tips expert!
Why spend your time exercising alone when Envision offers group activities that can help you take your routine to the next step? Our Wellness Programs at Park Place Senior Living and St. Catherine Retirement Center are available to any senior in St. Louis for just $45 per month!
From Chair Yoga and Stretch, Strength & Balance classes to Mindful Movement and Gratitude Gathering sessions, we combine senior-friendly exercises with a variety of healthy living tips for elderly individuals. You’ll learn how to live a healthier life and get the steps you need to put your plan into action! To learn more and to speak with a Wellness Expert about any “old age health tips,” contact us for a free consultation.
Need help talking with your parent or other family members?
Feel free to contact us today for a free in-home assessment as we can provide helpful suggestions that will make this difficult conversation a little easier.