Physical therapy isn’t just a way to recoup after a fall or accident. Seniors in St. Louis have discovered it’s an effective way to manage everything from arthritis to incontinence so they can enjoy a higher quality of life as they age.
Whether you choose outpatient or in home physical therapy for seniors, it’s up to you to take control of your health. While therapists can provide the foundation, your recovery requires hard work, a positive attitude, and following a few simple tips.
Maximize your recovery, improve your life
As a leading provider of in home physical therapy for elderly in St. Louis and St. Charles, Envision Health Partners understands the unique challenges you face when battling the effects of aging – and the best ways to overcome them. That’s why in addition to staffing our team with expert geriatric physical therapists, we provide seniors with suggestions to help you maximize results:
- Start slow and speak up – Physical therapy isn’t an overnight solution. It can take weeks, or even months, to help you get to where you want to be. Start with easy, low-impact exercises so your body can adjust to any new movements, and then work your way up. Be sure to let your therapist know if you’re feeling any pain during or after your session.
- Join the resistance – Using weights and resistance training machines can help you progressively build your strength, endurance and flexibility by working those muscles that too often remain motionless. Plus, it helps combat osteoporosis, which is critical as bone breaks can be crippling to seniors. In fact, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), one out of five seniors who breaks a hip will die within a year of their injury.
- Hit the track – Walking is one of the best ways to get back up and moving. However, when recovering from an injury, you may find your gait and balance are off. A physical therapist can work with you to prevent falls – for instance, they may start you on a treadmill under their watchful eye until you’re ready to walk a flat surface, such as an indoor track.
- Make it a group effort – In many cases, you may only participate in physical therapy once or twice a week. To get the most from your therapy, with clearance from your therapist and doctor, join a senior exercise class structured around your physical health needs. Envision, for instance, offers classes at senior living centers throughout the St. Louis area.
- Don’t rely on meds – Painkillers, such as opioids, are often prescribed after an injury or surgery. Unfortunately, they only mask the pain, leaving you to think that you’re getting better. On the other hand, physical therapy actually treats the condition, so you recover from, rather than manage, the pain. In fact, the CDC recommends that therapy be the first line of defense for most acute and chronic conditions.
Finding in home physical therapy services near me
If you need to bounce back from an accident or just want to battle the usual physical side effects of aging, Envision is here to help. We’ll work with your healthcare provider to develop a custom care plan for you and deliver it at your home, on your schedule. And once you hit your goals, you can continue working toward your best life by joining our Wellness Program at facilities across St. Louis. To learn more about our in home physical therapy services, contact us for your free health assessment.
Need help talking with your parent or other family members?
Feel free to contact us today for a free in-home assessment as we can provide helpful suggestions that will make this difficult conversation a little easier.